A change in my diet played a large part in helping me to conceive. I spent countless hours scouring the internet reading on PCOS(polycystic ovarian syndrome) and different things to try to help me conceive.
I eat mostly plant based now but, back then I switched our diet to grass fed beef and free range eggs and organic everything.
Below are the foods that I consumed and I can honestly say that it helped my IVF become a success(on the first try). I diligently stuck to the fertility superfoods for the year before going through my one and only IVF cycle.
12 Fertility superfoods:
1. Avocados: healthy fats are important for fertility. Avocados are packed with folate, potassium, and vitamin A, which are all important for reproductive health.
2. Asparagus: Asparagus is rich in antioxidants(vitamin E, vitamin C, and selenium).
3. Eggs: Rich in choline, which helps prevent birth defects.
4. Brazil nuts: Selenium is an important antioxidant that prevents oxidation and DNA damage in the oocyte. Brazil Nuts are an excellent source of selenium.
5. Salmon: Omega-3 fatty acids have beneficial effects on ovulation and embryo quality.
6. Walnuts: Walnuts are a great source of omega-3.
7. Flax seeds: High in omega-3 and omega-6, both of which balance hormones and boost fertility.
8. Spinach: Spinach, Kale, and Swiss Chard contain calcium, iron, and folate that protect against birth defects.
9. Beans: Beans and lentils are a good source of folate and fiber. Getting enough fiber is important for healthy hormone balance.
10. High-fat dairy: Full-fat dairy decreases the risk for anovulatory infertility.
11. Olive oil: Olive oil contains vitamin C and monounsaturated fats that is associated with reproductive health.
12. Garlic: Garlic contains selenium as well as vitamins B6 and C. Vitamin B6 is the number one vitamin that stimulates ovulation.